Two days back US secretary of State Mike Pompeo was in London and during his meeting with Prime Minister Theresa May’s government he warned that the UK should stay wary of the Belt and Road Initiative as it would harm the UK’s sovereignty.
In a sharp remark Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang has urged the United States to stop spreading rumours about China’s Belt and Road Initiative While the US has repeatedly told its European allies not to take part in the China-proposed project, UK’s Chancellor Philip Hammond led a delegation to the second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation held in Beijing last month, seeking to secure contracts for British companies.
Geng said Pompeo’s remarks were totally “irresponsible.” The Belt and Road Initiative has gained wide support from international society, as 150 countries and 92 international organisations had participated in the second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation.
At a regular briefing on Thursday he said among those 6,000 representatives taking part in the forum, over 50 of them are from the U.S.
He further said China is tired of hearing such rumours, and Beijing will only continue to push for the proposal, adding that the U.S. should not overestimate its ability to spreading rumours and not underestimate other countries’ judgements.